Year 11 Block Work Experience
All students in Year 11 spend one week on work experience during the last two weeks of the Trinity Term.
Why do work experience?
Work experience gives young people the opportunity to develop valuable skills they will need in the work place. It increases their awareness of the working world and the expectations employers have of their employees. Our objective is that our students will gain skills and experiences in the following areas:
· To meet and interact with new people.
· To gain future contacts – networking.
· To develop employability skills, such as: team work, presentation skills, critical thinking.
· To find out more about a particular industry or profession.
· To help them make informed choices about their future career ideas.
· To experience travelling to and from work.
· To gain a better understanding of the working environment.
· To improve their self-confidence.
· To utilise their written and verbal communication skills within a work environment.
· To learn the importance of punctuality.
· To gain experience for their CV.
· To identify their skills, strengths and areas of development.
Choosing a placement
Points for students to bear in mind:
- Use the database provided: http://lpw.learnaboutwork.org to research and source a possible placement. Pin numbers for this are available from Mrs Askew.
- A placement does not necessarily have to be related to future career plans – the main aim of the experience is to develop confidence and begin to understand the world of work.
- Sort out the placement early. Use the Christmas & February Half Term holidays to source a placement and complete the agreement forms.
- Contact possible employers directly – write, or call, or visit them. Ensure that you ask them to fill out their part of the agreement form.
- Ask family friends or relatives if they might be able to provide a suitable placement for either yourself or another student.
- Speak to Mrs Askew in the Art office about your plans.
Insurance and Health & Safety
When obtaining a placement students are required to get the confirmation and details of the company’s insurance policy from them directly.
Health & Safety whilst on work placement is studied in our PSHE lessons and guidance is given to the students.
Risk assessments are carried out by Education Business Partnership South West.
Work Experience Booklet
Students are asked to complete a record of their experience in a log book that is returned to School following work experience.